Pinterest

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

There's Nothin' like a Blueberry Lemon Muffin...




Summer means berries and lemon to me...so I decided to bake up these beauties as a tribute to the best of summer.  
It all started because I was going to meet a friend for a picnic lunch in the park.  She always is gifting us with some kind of goodies and I couldn't go and meet her empty-handed!  These were the treats I decided to bake and take along for a great visit together.  This was a new recipe for me but it turned out great tasting!


I used a mix of some fresh berries I had along with a few frozen ones.  This recipe is pretty simple and what makes it even better is that it is a bit lighter/less calories than traditional ones without you being able to tell the difference. I also added 1 tsp of lemon extract to the batter because I LOVE lemon!


I switched to using all butter years and years ago because it's the only way to bake. It's better for you, still fat, but no chemicals as in margarine.  Because this uses 1/4 cup of butter for the whole recipe, it has still has great flavor without using two sticks of butter as in many traditional recipes.
  Using real ingredients and making your own baked goods is a super easy process for anyone.  It's much more rewarding AND better than anything out of a box or from the store.


I also used my own ground whole wheat flour to substitute for some of the total amount of flour.  It was a mix of oat, rice and whole wheat, so some extra fiber AND nutrition!  


Batter is ready to bake and on to making the lemon glaze!


I try to always have fresh lemons and limes on hand for cooking, baking AND drinking.  A half of  a lemon in a glass topped off with fresh water and ice (add sugar/Stevia to taste) and you have a glass of lemonade that is country fair worthy.


They turned out fabulous and of course I had to taste test one before I gifted them...delicious!
My friend was excited, she loves lemon and this was perfect.  

I don't bake as often as my family would like, but these muffins are definitely scheduled to be made again...summer OR anytime of the year!  

If you would like to try to make these, click here, for the recipe...it's a keeper!  Blessings!

For more recipes and crafty ideas, check out this link!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You'll get one from the next batch for sure!

      Delete
  2. Looks good. I might try them, but with coconut oil instead of butter. It's good for you and tastes amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment...coconut oil sounds like a good idea too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete