Pinterest

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Rain Barrels: Save Your Rain for a Sunny Day...



This has been the perfect summer for using our rain barrels.  With lower than normal rainfalls and lots of hot, hot weather, these beauties have been a garden (and water bill) life saver!
I really can't say enough how thankful I am that we purchased two of these about five years ago.
I had been researching them and thought what a great idea to use free water to water the landscape.



If you do any kind of gardening or even water your lawn frequently, then an investment in one or more rain barrels is the way to go.  It's like harnessing solar or wind power, a great way to use what is around you to resource your own needs.  And with so many places in this country experiencing a drought, and many countries experiencing water shortages...it's a way to...yes, I'll say it, help save the planet!



While they can be a bit pricey to purchase, depending on the size, design and company, the return far outweighs the investment.  We purchased ours online as most companies offer free shipping.  Craig's List is a good place to look too.  Click here to get started shopping online or if you're feeling very crafty, then click here to learn how to make your own.  There's also great tutorials on  You Tube that show you how to get started.


The only thing I don't like about our rain barrels is that they aren't big enough.  Go for the 55 gallon size, you won't regret it. Once you start saving water, it becomes a bit addictive...so be aware!


Hope you were inspired to save your own water for a sunny day.  Blessings!

Check out more sustainable ways to live at this link!

4 comments:

  1. I have one sitting outside beside the downspout that needs connected......( sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you had one...keep asking for it to be hooked up. You'll love it! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm gonna have to do this when I have a garden in my own yard!

      Delete