Pinterest

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Five Garden Gifts A Gardener Will Love!


Since I've joined Pinterest, I've been pinning a few things here and there of gardening stuff I would really like to own or own already and would like to recommend to other gardeners.  So, here's just a short list of some pretty nifty garden items that are sure to put a smile on the face of your gardening friends...or yours for that matter.  You can find these items online or maybe even in some local stores around you.  They are guaranteed to help the winter months pass quickly.  So here they are in no particular order and prices start at $5.95 (plus shipping) so they fit the budget as well.


 Nitrile Garden Gloves: I have to wear gardening gloves.  After being stung by bees and pricked by thorns, they are must for me and these lightweight gloves are tough in the garden.  Featuring a nylon glove with a coating of flexible, puncture-resistant nitrile coating, they are also water resistant and great for weeding and pruning but gentle enough for planting and sowing medium to large seeds. I own several pairs of these and absolutely love them.  They are the best gloves that I've found for general garden work. (Stick to leather work gloves for heavy duty work.) Easy to clean, I throw them in the washer and hang up to dry. They come in seven different colors and we all have different colored gloves so we all know who owns what.  I have a pink pair to help discourage teenage boys from swiping!  You may find these locally...I know we have a garden center that carries them in the summer but if not you can find them here.  At $5.95 (+ shipping) a pair, you can afford one for a friend and one for yourself.  Accept no cheap substitutes, these gloves are nice.



  Pocket Pruners:  Pruners are a must around herbs and flowers.  They are perfect for cleaning up spent plants and harvesting fresh basil.  I have an inexpensive pair that I've owned for years but now need to replace.  This pair is definitely on my Christmas list this year.  Pocket sized and handy for small garden jobs - these pruners at $9.95 fit the bill.  A great stocking stuffer too.  I'm asking for the orange pruners (they come in green too) so I can spot them easily in the grass.  I have a habit of laying them down for a minute and spending five more minutes trying to find them again!  You can find these pruners here.


 Garden Journal: After all the hard work with pruning and cleaning up outside in spring, a garden journal is a great way to relax and reflect on everything you're growing. And when given as a gift at Christmas it's a great time to dream of next year's garden as well.  This one caught my eye and is on my garden wish list.  Filled with black and white drawings and garden sayings, it's perfect for inspiration.  You can purchase this journal for $9.95  here.


 Tubtrug: Who doesn't need a handy bucket to move soil, carry clippings, transport produce and bring in flowers?  This trug does the trick and is on my wishlist for Christmas.  It also has a 5 star rating with over a thousand reviews.  This sounds very tempting to me as well as the sale price of $12.49 for an 11 gallon size.  The fact that it's collapsible is a huge bonus for a gardener like me with a very small space.  This could be used inside the home as well and you can find them here.


Weather Station:  You know you're a hard-core gardener when the weather channel is one of your top 3 TV stations to watch.  Weather and gardening go hand in hand and that's why this nifty little weather station gives you instant gratification.  These stations range in price.  Ours is a bit fancier with a barometer included but this one will get you started with temps, time and humidity.  It's price tag of $19.51 won't break the bank either.  We've had ours (a Christmas gift) for a number of years and I really like the La Crosse brand as it's proven itself accurate and reliable.  You can find this model and many others here. 

Well, I've made my list and checked it twice and these items not only are super helpful in the garden and home; they also make gardening work a little more enjoyable.

What garden items are on your Christmas wish list this year?  Blessings! 

Linked to these great blog parties...Waste Not, Want Not Wednesdays  
Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways 
Simple Lives Thursday  Wicked Good Wednesdays
Small Footprint Friday  Clever Chicks Blog Hop  
Natural Living Mondays
Homestead Revival Backyard Farming Connection  
Seasonal Celebration Wednesdays

12 comments:

  1. Love your list of "must have's". And I agree with all of your recommendations. I think I might add the tubtrug to my list as well as the weather station. Mine is old and doesn't give the humidity. Thanks for all the recommendations. And also thanks for stopping by and leaving thoughtful messages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deanna. I love my weather station...the only thing I would like better is to have a station that showed radar for our area 24-7. I guess that's a little over the top but what can I say, I'm a weather nut! Thanks so much for visiting...blessings!!

      Delete
  2. These are great ideas! I haven't seen that tubtrug before, it looks so handy.
    Thanks so much for sharing it on Waste Not Want Not Wednesday! I've pinned it on my WNWNW board, and please check back on Wednesday to see if you've been featured!ndy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. The tubtrug is on my list for sure...anything to make work a bit easier! Thanks for stopping by and will be "seeing" you on Wednesday. Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Hi Nancy I really love your post and as an avid gardener myself am delighted to have found your blog! I think our readers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Seasonal Celebration I really hope that you will put Seasonal Celebration on your list of carnivals to visit and link to us every Wednesday!
    http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/
    Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and the invitation. I'll be sure to link up. Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Hey great post. I think we would make good blog friends ;)

    Garrett @TheGrowingPatch
    www.growingpatch.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following...enjoyed your blog but not sure how to follow! Am following you on Google though. :)

      Delete
  5. Nancy thank you so much for popping by Seasonal Celebration! I do hope you'll link up this Wednesday to our Holiday Special Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! Will plan on linking up...blessings!

      Delete
  6. I found it funny when you said, “you know you’re a hard-core gardener when the weather channel is among your top 3 TV stations to watch.” Well, I’m guilty of that. I do container gardening, as I like to take my plants in and out of the house when necessary.

    Katy Eagles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Watching the weather is fundamental for a gardener for sure, it sounds like you have a great system working for you too. Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete